Pirantha Naal Valthukkal Review – An Interesting Premise That Doesn't Fully Deliver
Today I'm going to talk about the film Pirantha Naal Valthukkal.
Initially, I wasn't planning to watch this film. It wasn't really on my radar. But while scrolling through it, I noticed that the poster mentioned the film had won several awards. That made me curious, and I decided to give it a watch.
The premise of the film is actually quite simple. It's set in a village that follows a rather unusual custom. Whenever someone dies, instead of treating it purely as a moment of grief, they celebrate the funeral in a grand manner. That cultural setup immediately caught my attention because it was something different.
Another major issue the film focuses on is alcoholism. Drinking has become a normal part of life in the village, and many people have fallen into addiction because of it.
The protagonist, played by Appukutty—I think it's Appukutty, though I'm not completely sure—is someone who constantly drinks, cheats people, and fails to take responsibility for his family. Even after getting married, he continues with the same lifestyle, completely ignoring the struggles of his wife and those around him.
Things take an interesting turn when he suddenly dies. Or at least, that's what we are led to believe. Although his body is lifeless, his inner consciousness remains active. He watches everything happening around him and begins to realise the damage his alcoholism has caused.
He sees how his actions have affected his wife, his family, and the people close to him. For the first time, he understands what addiction has taken away from him and how much pain it has created for others. That idea forms the emotional core of the film.
However, by the end, we discover that he wasn't actually dead. Everything turns out to be a dream, making the entire experience more of a self-realisation journey than a supernatural story.
The film clearly wants to deliver a message about alcoholism and its consequences. While I appreciated the intention, I personally didn't think the message landed as strongly as it could have.
I was also curious about the awards the film had won. I'm not sure which festivals or categories they were for, but after watching it, I couldn't completely understand why it had received so much recognition.
That said, it definitely has the feel of an artistic film. It isn't made like a conventional commercial entertainer, and I can see why it may appeal to a certain audience.
For me, though, it was just an okay watch. It has an interesting premise and a meaningful idea, but the overall execution didn't leave a lasting impact. It's not a film I would actively recommend unless you're specifically interested in independent or festival-style cinema.
Rating: 2.5/5
Comments
Post a Comment