Parimala & Co. Review – A Missed Opportunity Despite a Strong Cast
I was a little late to watching Parimala & Co. I missed it in theatres, and even after its OTT release, it took me a few more days to finally catch up with it.
Before watching the film, I had already come across a lot of negative reviews. Many people compared it to Drishyam, saying it tried to recreate that murder mystery formula in a comedic way but failed miserably. So naturally, I went in with very low expectations.
After watching it, I have to say that I don't think the film deserved the level of criticism it received.
The biggest strength of the film is undoubtedly its cast. Having actors like Jayaram, Urvashi, Yogi Babu, and M.S. Bhaskar together automatically raises expectations. They fit their characters well, and their quirky chemistry creates a few genuinely entertaining moments.
The murder mystery also starts on an interesting note. For a while, the film successfully keeps the audience guessing about who actually killed Sandy. Those initial portions manage to create curiosity, and I was invested in finding out the truth.
Unfortunately, the film struggles to maintain that momentum.
As it progresses, the humour starts overpowering the mystery. Instead of balancing suspense and comedy, it leans too heavily into the comedic side, making the investigation lose its intensity. I kept feeling that with a different treatment, the same story could have become a much better film.
The screenplay had enough potential, but the execution never fully capitalises on it.
Another disappointment was how the talented cast wasn't utilised to their full potential. Every actor gets moments to shine, but none of the characters are given enough depth to leave a lasting impression.
Having watched Ponram's earlier works, I know he is capable of delivering entertaining commercial films. That's why this one feels more like a missed opportunity than a complete failure.
Overall, Parimala & Co. is nowhere near as bad as social media made it out to be. At the same time, it's far from being memorable. It's simply an average entertainer with a good cast, an interesting premise, and an execution that never reaches its full potential.
Rating: ⭐⭐☆☆ (2/5)
Comments
Post a Comment