Backrooms Review – More Than a Psychological Thriller, It's a Journey Through Human Memory
Independent filmmakers have been having a remarkable year. After watching Obsession, another film that genuinely impressed me was Backrooms.
I had already come across the Backrooms concept through YouTube videos and social media long before watching the film. Because of that, I kept asking myself one question:
"How do you turn an internet phenomenon like this into a feature-length movie?"
After watching it, I can confidently say that the filmmakers found an interesting answer.
At its core, the story is surprisingly simple.
A failed architect, struggling to keep his furniture business alive, discovers a mysterious doorway while renovating his shop. That doorway leads him into an alternate world unlike anything he has experienced before. Revealing anything beyond that would spoil the experience, so I'll leave the plot there.
What stayed with me wasn't the story itself—it was the idea behind it.
The Film Begins After It Ends
When the credits rolled, I wasn't thinking about the plot anymore. I was thinking about what the film was actually trying to say.
To better understand it, I spent some time reading articles and discussions about the movie. I wanted to know whether my interpretation matched what others had understood.
One explanation fascinated me.
The Backrooms aren't just another alternate dimension. They're portrayed as a world shaped by human memories—childhood experiences, trauma, guilt, depression, and the emotional baggage we carry throughout our lives.
Whether or not that's the definitive interpretation, it made the film far more meaningful to me. It also explains why, even after leaving that world, a part of the characters always seems connected to it.
A World That Still Has Secrets
The film briefly hints at how the Backrooms came into existence.
There are references to MRI scans and neuroscience experiments that seem to have triggered the creation of this strange reality. But the film intentionally leaves many questions unanswered.
Personally, I didn't mind that. In fact, it made me wish for another film that explores the origins of the Backrooms in greater detail.
A Passion Project That Deserves Appreciation
One detail I discovered after watching the film made me appreciate it even more.
The original creator of the Backrooms concept behind this project is only 20 years old, and he has also created a YouTube series exploring this universe. That alone made me curious enough to check out his earlier work.
Final Thoughts
Backrooms isn't a film that hands you all the answers.
It asks you to observe, think, interpret, and even do a little research after watching it. It's one of those rare films that becomes richer the more time you spend reflecting on it.
If you approach it as a straightforward psychological thriller, you might find it slow. But if you're willing to engage with its ideas and symbolism, it's a deeply rewarding experience.
It's also one of those films that deserves a rewatch. I'm sure I'll revisit it, because I have a feeling there's still a lot left to discover.
Rating: (3.5/5)
Comments
Post a Comment